I've tried to reproduce this bug with a current Ubuntu Xenial, by
adding:

session    required   pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022

to /etc/pam.d/common-account and creating a new user without home
directory with adduser --no-create-home afterwards. I also added a file
to /etc/skel. After I logged on into the new user the first time, the
file I added in /etc/skel was present in the home directory.

Seems that a fix was released in a newer version.  Since trusty still
uses version 1.10.0-0ubuntu3 [1], xenial uses 1.18.1-0ubuntu1 [2].

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/lightdm
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/lightdm

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm doesn't let pam_mkhomedir execute

Status in Light Display Manager:
  New
Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  Affects:
  14.04 LTS
  lightdm 1.10.0-0ubuntu3

  When graphically logging in with a new user without a home directory,
  lightdm/xdg/freedesktop creates a home directory based on settings in
  /etc/xdg before PAM session configs are processed. This makes
  pam_mkhomedir completely useless for graphical logins of first-time
  users. It also creates inconsistencies between graphical and console
  logins as the console still processes mkhomedir. Thus, two new users
  would have differing home directories if one initially logged in
  graphically vs intially logged in via a console.

  This bug does not exist in 12.04 LTS.

  How to reproduce:
  1. Create a new user, ensuring the user has no home directory.
  2. Configure pam with pam_mkhomedir to create a home directory by copying
files from some skeleton directory.
  3. Login via lightdm with the new user.
  4. Verify that none of the files from the skeleton are actually in the new
user's home directory.

  What is expected to happen is that pam_mkhomedir is always processed
  before any other home directory files are created, enabling
  administrators to dictate the home directory contents for new users
  using the traditional method of pam_mkhomedir + /etc/skel.