Public bug reported:

I wonder if anyone will support my idea of creating a numerical keyboard
option as we used to have in standard phones. What for?

1. Did You know there are blind people who are able to write a message? Did You
ever wrote a SMS message while driving a car/running or walking/ under the
table on a meeting/at school without looking on the screen? Yes, it was
possible. Now as we have smartphones we are forced to look on the screen to tap
the right "button".
Now if we had the proper cover for our phones, a simple 10 stickers or a
prepaired foil for the screen, we would still be able to write only by
touching, without having to look. But there is no proper keyboard layout.

2. I have a Nexus 5 device with Android. While turning on the phone with
inserted SIMcard, we have to provide PIN number. Do You know Your PIN
number? I didn't. Ubuntu phone forced me to remind it to myself. Why?
Android displays the 0-9 numerical keyboard with the alphabet under the
numbers, so that I do not have to know that for one of my phones the PIN
is 6529 one for another 9274. If I have letters on my keyboard I can
keep in mind 4-letter words, not numbers. I'm not an Android developer
but I think there is a reason why they display the numerical PIN-
keyboard this way.

** Affects: ubuntu-keyboard (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-keyboard in Ubuntu.

  Numerical keyboard wish

Status in ubuntu-keyboard package in Ubuntu: