Public bug reported:

The „setkey” service should run at system startup to add keys defined in
/etc/ipsec-tools.conf.

However, no keys are defined after system boot:

root@ReThinkCentre:~# setkey -D
No SAD entries.

After inquiring systemd, I learn this:

root@ReThinkCentre:~# systemctl status setkey
● setkey.service - LSB: option to manually manipulate the IPsec SA/SP database
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/setkey; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)

ápr 25 21:15:28 ReThinkCentre systemd[1]: setkey.service: Job
setkey.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with
sysinit.target/start

Upon manually calling „systemctl start setkey” after the system booted
up, the keys are added properly – but it is not feasible to do after
each reboot.

Moreover, I can't help to notice that /etc/init.d/setkey is a legacy
SysV init script. No proper systemd service file seems to exist for
setkey. I think it would be a great time to add one.

** Affects: ipsec-tools (Ubuntu)

** Affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Tags: wily xenial

** Also affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: wily xenial

  setkey is not run automatically on system start

Status in ipsec-tools package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu: