They are specified in /etc/network/interfaces just as you instructed,
and the dnsmasq-base package is installed.  But when dnsmasq is
installed then resolvconf generates an incorrect /etc/resolv.conf.  If I
remove the dnsmasq package then resolvconf works properly and generates
the expected contents for /etc/resolv.conf.

This is a new bug with 16.04.  It was not present under 14.04, and the
contents of my /etc/network/interfaces file has not changed.

Michael

On 04/27/2016 12:06 PM, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Not dnsmasq but dnsmasq-base is pulled in by ubuntu-desktop.
>
> If you define your interfaces statically using /etc/network/interfaces
> then you have to add the nameserver information
> /etc/network/interfaces on lines like "dns-nameserver 1.2.3.4". See
> resolvconf(8) for more info.
>
> ** Changed in: resolvconf (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to resolvconf in Ubuntu.

  resolvconf doesn't create the correct /etc/resolv.conf file when
  static IP addresses are used

Status in resolvconf package in Ubuntu:

  By default, when installing ubuntu-desktop (and when installing some
  other packages as well), apt will also install dnsmasq as a
  dependency.  When dnsmask is installed, and static IP addresses are
  used, resolv.conf creates a nearly empty /etc/resolv.conf file.  The
  file only contains entries for localhost and the search domain.  If
  static IP addresses are defined in /etc/network/interfaces, then
  shouldn't those DNS servers should be included in /etc/resolv.conf
  regardless of the presence of dnsmask?

  Package: resolvconf 1.78ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Apr 27 08:34:24 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.3)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: resolvconf