I know it's a long time, but I'm cleaning up old NTP bugs atm.

While I totally agree with all that was said before, times have changed
since this went dormant and we have to look at it freshly.

For NTP, the config via -N works these days:
default:
(ps alx | head -1) ; (ps alx | grep ntpd) | grep -v grep
F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI    VSZ   RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
5   114 10771     1  20   0 110040  4988 -      Ss   ?          0:00
/usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -u 114:120

with cat /etc/default/ntp
NTPD_OPTS='-g -N'

F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI    VSZ   RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
5   114 22635     1 -100  - 110032  4948 -      Ssl  ?          0:00
/usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -N -u 114:120

So now the remaining request of the bug would be to make -N the default
- and since it works just as is now the patch itself would be rather
trivial.

But since the default time synchronization these days is via systemd anyway it
would only affect those explicitly using ntp.
That said I'll set this bug to incomplete for now, so it can time out if nobody
cares but live on if one does.

This shall not be an offense, if anybody still cares and considers it
important to change the default I'd encourage you to go to file a Debian
bug. I don't think this would be worth a Ubuntu delta, if Debian agrees
it would be picked up by the next merge.

** Changed in: ntp (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ntp in Ubuntu.

  ntpd should run niced

Status in ntp package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: ntp

  In ntp-4.2.4p4+dfsg debian/ntp.init starts ntpd with no special
  priority (I believe this is not new).

  If the  system is busy at all when ntpd polls the jitter goes way up,
  and ntpd gets nervous and drops the poll times (it's been a while
  since I saw anything but 1024; 64 or 128 weren't uncommon before).

  I'm guessing the attached patch will measurably decrease the load on
  ntp.ubuntu.com, since I see that time synchronization installs ntpd.

  Version commands output as requested:

  jthill@shrdlu:~/src/ubuntu/ntp-4.2.4p4+dfsg$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:        8.04
  jthill@shrdlu:~/src/ubuntu/ntp-4.2.4p4+dfsg$ apt-cache policy ntp