The bug seems to depend on ~/.config/dconf/user, removing which fixes the
problem for a couple of boots.
But that's still an awful bug, making it impossible to use Ubuntu for those who
don't know how to deal with the command line.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to at-spi2-core in Ubuntu.

  Login Successful, Desktop Never Loads

Status in at-spi2-core package in Ubuntu:

  Here is what I encounter
  1. Boot computer, boot proceeds normally
  2. Reach standard Ubuntu login screen, nothing seems to be amiss
  3. Enter user name and password
  4. Login disappears, just see the pink "Ubuntu 14.04" background

  The desktop never loads, not even after ~30 minutes. The launcher
  never appears, and the Desktop background never changes to the user-
  configured background.

  Other features:
  * Cursor works fine, it can be moved around the screen
  * No error messages pop up
  * ALT+F1 etc. can be used to switch to different TTYs; all files on the
system appear to be intact
  * Print screen button works (I will upload a screen shot when I get a chance
to copy it onto a USB drive)
  * Hitting power button pops up a window prompting the user to decide whether
to shut down
  * CTRL+ALT+DELETE prompts the user to log out
  * Desktop does not load on any user accounts, including the guest account