Removed duplicate status as per
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grep/+bug/1547466/comments/24

** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 1547466
   grep switches into binary mode while processing a text file

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to grep in Ubuntu.

  [15.10 REGRESSION] Randomly wrongly detects files as binary

Status in grep package in Ubuntu:

  I have a folder with a bunch of subfolder and several hundred or
  thousands files, most of them PHP files (obviously text).

  I often use grep recursively, like this:
    $ grep -R somepattern *

  Since the upgrade from 15.04 to 15.10, it often happens that a lot of text
files are wrongly treated as binary. That means that, when a match is found,
instead of getting the normal output which would show the file name and the
matching line (with the matching substring highlighted), I get the bogus
message:
    binary file whatever.php matches

  Just to be clear: in one invocation of grep -R, I get mixed output
  with a lot of matches shown in the expected way and quit e a few
  matches shown in the wrong way, even though ALL matching files are
  text files.

  This worked as expected before the upgrade from 15.04 and 15.10.

  This is a HUGE issue that makes it impossible to do everyday developing work.

  Until you fix it, please f***ing roll back grep to the previous version,
because this sh** is unusable.

  Package: grep 2.21-2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.19.1-0ubuntu5