I see conflicting goals here
1) we don't want random theme packs to override these
2) we do want OEMs/carriers to be able to override these

So putting the icons in each app seems wrong, or somehow we need a
default location even if its not strictly part of the theme

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mediaplayer-app in Ubuntu.

  Should ship a PNG icon instead of using the theme

Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  New
Status in “address-book-app” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “dialer-app” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “mediaplayer-app” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “messaging-app” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “sync-monitor” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “ubuntu-system-settings” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “webbrowser-app” package in Ubuntu:

  By design request, all apps, click or not, should ship their own icon
  as PNG instead of using icons from the theme.

  Please download the respective icon from http://bazaar.launchpad.net
  /~ubuntu-art-pkg/ubuntu-themes/trunk/files/head:/suru-icons/apps/256/
  and include in your packages.