@Konrad
Great idea.
Ok, so I went here[1] to get info on running "bluetoothctl" and pairing a
device via this interface.
Here's the result:
Pairing works via "bluetoothctl". I did not have to enter a PIN code as before
and as mentioned in the car's instructions.
After pairing was working, I was able to:
1. Browse the phone's address book;
2. Set "speed dials" using the phone's address book
3. Activate "Bluetooth" as a "source" for audio in the car, open the "Music"
app and the music played through the car's speakers (albeit with a very low
volume, and car controls don't work (next track, previous track, etc). This is
an improvement as I had never been able to play the phone's audio via the car's
speakers.
Unfortunately, the good news stop here.
1. Placing a call using the car's phone interface results in the phone placing
the call, but no audio can be heard. Not even the "ring". The person on the
other side had long hung up the call, but the phone's interface remained frozen
and silent as if it were still trying to make the outgoing call.
2. Once somebody called me,  I expected the car to display the name of the
person calling me. Instead I get "Unknown". Not even the phone number of the
person calling is displayed.
3. Trying to answer the call results only in silence. I can't hear what the
other person is saying, and they can't hear me. I was, however able to "answer"
and "disconnect" the call using the car's interface.
4. Turning off bluetooth on the phone made it usable just as normal again.

So all in all, what is currently happening is the same set of symptoms I had
when I first got OTA9 and the pairing was already configured.
Should a separate issue be opened? We are looking at 2 distinct things here
(maybe three) - one is the pairing problem. The other is the silence during the
calls, and the other is the missing name of the caller.
That being said, what would you like me to log first and attempt to tackle?

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Configuration_via_the_CLI

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  Unable to pair with in-car hands-free system after OTA-9 update

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-system-settings package in Ubuntu:

  After OTA-9 I started having trouble with my bluetooth connection to the car
hands-free system (no sound, and incoming calls no longer displayed the
number), so I have reset both the car and the phone connections (eg. forgot the
devices).
  Now I can't even pair the phone with the car's system.
  The car finds the phone, and then asks me to enter the code "0000" to pair
the device, but after a few moments, it just says the connection failed and
asks me to try again. Which fails again.

  It was working fine just before the update.

  Any logs I should post to help debug?

  PS - The car is a 2015 Honda Civic Tourer, if that matters.