Is there an upstream bug/RFE filed for this?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Support 802.1x auth requirement detection and fallback

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  NetworkManager asks for 802.1x user name and password when there is no
  802.1x support on switch port.

  Background:

  We use 802.1x wired authentication on our campus network.
  NetworkManager does not fall back nicely when connecting to a non-
  authenticated switch.

  What happens:

  NetworkManager asks for user name and password when "Use 802.1x
  security" is selected in the connection editor and the computer is
  connected to an unauthenticated port.

  What should happen:

  Network manager should notice that the port is not access-controlled
  and do one of the following: (1) ask for connecting unauthenticated or
  (2) connect unauthenticated without asking.

  There should be a setting for selecting #1 or #2.

  Now the user is asked about information which has no effect on
  completing the connection.