Design comment:
I suggest to leave 2gu between text and scrollbar. Image attached below shows
text input design with scrollbar and when one of the steppers is on hover
state.

** Attachment added: "Scrollbar in text input.jpg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/+bug/1526726/+attachment/4659336/+files/Scrollbar%20in%20text%20input.jpg

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-ui-toolkit in

  Scrollbars in TextArea don't receive mouse hover events

Status in Ubuntu UX:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-ui-toolkit package in Ubuntu:

  r1773

  Scrollbars in TextArea currently don't receive mouse hover events, and
  that prevents them from providing the expected UX (the new scrollbar
  expands and shows steppers when hovered with a mouse)

  By having a quick look at the code I noticed that moving the
  Scrollbars below the Flickable fixes the issue.

  I believe that what is happening is that Mouse.forwardTo: [main]
  inside InputHandler is forcing the mouse events to skip the scrollbars
  and go directly to the root item, though I'm not sure about this
  theory.