A colleague of mine has been affected by this as well, there are new
threads popping up in askubuntu.com

http://askubuntu.com/questions/771627/14-04-network-manager-stopped-
working

and newly affected people are popping up in the old bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libnl3/+bug/1511735

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libnl3 in Ubuntu.

  libnl upgrade breaks Network Manager

Status in libnl3 package in Ubuntu:

  I appear to have been hit by a regression problem in the libnl update
  described here:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libnl3/+bug/1511735

  After running a regular software update this morning and rebooting,
  I've completely lost networking access. Network Manager is down. I'm
  running Trusty 14.04. I tried this workaround:

  http://askubuntu.com/questions/727127/last-upgrade-crashes-network-
  manager-no-internet-connection-no-applet

  ... and step 1 didn't work. I'll be trying step 2 tonight when I've
  got more time.

  I'm filing this as a new bug with a regression-update, as indicated in
  the above-linked bug report.