Could someone please consider that there are many semi-technical people
like myself effected by this who really need step-by-step instructions
for getting going again.

bug #1511735 of which this is a duplicate points back to comment #13 of
this thread as being a solution (for the moment at least). However those
instructions only go so far.

Please could somebody post here, or elsewhere and link to it,
instructions that include the actual commands to run in order to go all
the way from cut-off-from-the-world to regaining access, for 14.04 (in
my case) and anything else effected.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libnl3 in Ubuntu.

  libnl upgrade breaks Network Manager

Status in libnl3 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in libnl3 source package in Trusty:

  I appear to have been hit by a regression problem in the libnl update
  described here:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libnl3/+bug/1511735

  After running a regular software update this morning and rebooting,
  I've completely lost networking access. Network Manager is down. I'm
  running Trusty 14.04. I tried this workaround:

  http://askubuntu.com/questions/727127/last-upgrade-crashes-network-
  manager-no-internet-connection-no-applet

  ... and step 1 didn't work. I'll be trying step 2 tonight when I've
  got more time.

  I'm filing this as a new bug with a regression-update, as indicated in
  the above-linked bug report.