Pawel, unfortunately I have no Ethernet connection on my laptop and
bringing up wlan0 along with dhclient did not help.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  upgrade of libnl-genl-3-200 causes networkmanager to not load

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  This morning, before leaving for work, I saw there was a update
  available for a package in Ubuntu 14.04 (I do NOT have the -proposed
  repositories enabled).  I installed it and shutdown.  When I got to
  work, no internet (network-manager won't load, there's a general
  protection error in dmesg).

  Looking at the apt log /var/cache/apt/history , it looks like libnl-
  genl-3-200 was updated (and that was the *only* package that was
  updated).

  After loading up synaptic, there are other "upgradable" packages, none
  of which got installed (or were listed) when I upgraded libnl-
  genl-3-200:

  gir1.2-netowrkmanager-1.0
  libmm-glib0
  libnm-glib-vpn1
  libnm-glib4
  libnm-util2
  modemmanager
  netowrk-manager

  However, without the internet, I can't get these packages!  Please
  help!

  I *did* have an older version of libnl-genl-3-200 in
  /var/apt/cache/archives (from Jan 29), but installing this and
  restarting networkmanager (or the machine) does not fix the issue.