I can reproduce it with the package excerpts at

https://code.launchpad.net/~serge-hallyn/+git/pkg1
and
https://code.launchpad.net/~serge-hallyn/+git/pkg2

First

        dpkg -i pkg1_1-1_amd64.deb

then

        dpkg -i pkg1_1-2_amd64.deb pkg2_1-2_amd64.deb

On yakkety, this gives me:

(Reading database ... 27385 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack /pkg1_1-2_amd64.deb ...
enabled
Unpacking pkg1 (1-2) over (1-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package pkg2.
Preparing to unpack /pkg2_1-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pkg2 (1-2) ...
Setting up pkg2 (1-2) ...
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: systemctl preset failed on pkg2.service: No
such file or directory
Failed to get unit file state for pkg2.service: No such file or directory
pkg2.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.

I trust I'm doing something wrong in pkg1.preinst (in version 1-2).

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to init-system-helpers in

  dh_systemd_enable fails due to 'preset' when service file is renamed

Status in init-system-helpers package in Ubuntu:

  This is a bit of a special case and may be being done wrong by the
  package...  libvirt is moving the libvirt-bin.service from libvirt-bin
  package to libvirtd.service in libvirt-daemon-system package.  The
  packaging source can be seen at https://git.launchpad.net/~libvirt-
  maintainers/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/tree/?h=2016-05-07/yakkety, and it
  is packaged at ppa:serge-hallyn/virt.

  When using the init-system-helpers package from xenial, this all
  works. However with the init-system-helpers package in yakkety, and
  when upgrading the current libvirt-bin package to this proposed
  package, it fails during deb-systemd-helper with a message from:

              system("/bin/systemctl", "--preset-mode=enable-only",
                  "preset", $scriptname) == 0 or
                  error("systemctl preset failed on $scriptname: $!");