this bug was not reproducible in 2011 and could not be reproduced as far
back as Lucid.  Might as well close this since there has been no
activity since then.

** Changed in: e2fsprogs (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to e2fsprogs in Ubuntu.

  Both fat and ext[234] boot sectors present at once cause confusion

Status in e2fsprogs package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: grub2

  grub-probe incorrectly identifies my ext3 partition as containing a
  fat file system.  This means it can't boot without manual tweaking.

  I suspect the problem is that my partition contains stale fat
  signatures... this is probably a common problem, as mke2fs often
  doesn't wipe old signatures.

  I attached first 8k of my file system for testing purposes.