This bug was fixed in the package unity8 -
8.12+16.04.20160518.1-0ubuntu1

---------------
unity8 (8.12+16.04.20160518.1-0ubuntu1) xenial; urgency=medium

  [ CI Train Bot ]
  * Resync trunk.

  [ Daniel d'Andrada, MichaƂ Sawicz ]
  * Move prompt surfaces from MirSurface to Application

 -- Nick Dedekind <ci-train-...@canonical.com>  Wed, 18 May 2016
11:20:04 +0000

** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)

  Dash forces use of landscape mode on tablet

Status in Today Scope:
  Invalid
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  I each the M10 tablet on OTA10.1, and today only displays in
  landscape, so if I am holding it portrait I have to turn it.

  Since it only works in portrait on the phone it must know how.

  I expect it to honor the orientation.