This change in libm.so has also broken the pam_mysql.so library, thus my
vsftpd service is also broken.  My nagios started alarming about this
breaking around 6:30 am this morning, dpkg.log shows only 5 packages
were updated in this morning's automatic update: man-db, libc-bin,
libc6, and multiarch-support (all from amd64 arch.)

The error in auth.log is:

vsftpd: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_mysql.so): /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6:
symbol __strtold_nan, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with
link time reference.
vsftpd: PAM adding faulty module: pam_mysql.so

(I had to manually type the above, as MS hyperv can't do simple
clipboard operations like Xen has managed for over a decade now.  So
please forgive any typos that might be there.)

I don't think this is an apache or pam bug, as libm.so is provided by
libc6.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to eglibc in Ubuntu.

  PHP Update on 2016-05-25 causes Apache not to restart, libm.so.6:
  symbol __strtold_nan, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file
  libc.so.6 with link time reference

Status in eglibc package in Ubuntu:

  This morning I applied the following updates to Ubuntu 12.04
  webservers:

  The following packages are currently pending an upgrade:

   apt 0.8.16~exp12ubuntu10.27
   apt-transport-https 0.8.16~exp12ubuntu10.27
   apt-utils 0.8.16~exp12ubuntu10.27
   libapache2-mod-php5 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.23
   libapt-inst1.4 0.8.16~exp12ubuntu10.27
   libapt-pkg4.12 0.8.16~exp12ubuntu10.27
   php5-cli 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.23
   php5-common 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.23
   php5-curl 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.23
   php5-dev 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.23
   php5-gd 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.23
   php5-mysql 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.23
   php-pear 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.23

  Apache fails to restart, siting error:

  apache2: Syntax error on line 212 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax
  error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.load: Cannot load
  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server: /lib/x86_64-linux-
  gnu/libm.so.6: symbol __strtold_nan, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined
  in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

  Into file /var/log/apache2/error.log

  Looks like I am trying to roll back all those php packages... Which I
  see several updates marked Security Update in the changelogs, thus
  checking the "security vulnerability" box as rolling back in this case
  is such. :-(