** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 1054927
   Autoupdater fills /boot and crashes because old kernel images are never
removed
   update-initramfs should produce a more helpful error when there isn't enough
 free space

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  Kernels not autoremoving, causing out of space error on LVM or
  Encrypted installation or on any installation, when /boot partition
  gets full

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Currently if one chooses to use LVM or encrypted install, a /boot
  partition is created of 236Mb

  Once kernel updates start being released this partition soon fills
  until people are left unable to upgrade.

  While you and I might know that we need to watch partition space, many
  of the people we have installing think that a windows disk is a disk
  and not a partition, education is probably the key - but in the
  meantime support venues keep needing to deal with the fact the
  partition is too small and/or old kernels are not purged as new ones
  install.