Using simple test apps (lp:~gerboland/+junk/openglwindow &
lp:~gerboland/+junk/qquickwindow-debug), it appears that yes Qt is using
OpenGL 1.4 on X for both raw GL and QtQuick apps.

./qquickwindow-debug
Window format: QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags(), depthBufferSize
24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8,
stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 2, swapInterval 1, profile  0)
Context format: QSurfaceFormat(version 1.4, options QFlags(0x4),
depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8,
alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 2,
swapInterval 1, profile  0)
GLES: false

The "Context format: ... version 1.4" the thing to look for.

The EGL backend for Qt (X uses the GLX backend) is requiring OpenGl2 or
greater (since that is what the Window is asking for), but the GLX
backend seems to ignore that request, and just work.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mir in Ubuntu.

  Unity8-dash on Intel Atom graphics crashes and restarts continuously
  [qtubuntu: ASSERT: "eglDestroyContext(mEglDisplay, EglContext) ==
  EGL_TRUE"]

Status in Mir:
  Invalid
Status in qtubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in mir package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in qtdeclarative package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in qtubuntu package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Qt clients are failing to create an egl context when running on Intel
  Pineview systems under Mir.

  eglCreateContext fails with a EGL_BAD_MATCH error code.

  When it fails, Qt tries to delete & recreate the context, which then
  crashes the client (bug 1580118)

  === Original bug description ===
  This bug Makes the pc UNUSABLE
  when I try to launch Unity 8 and Mir, after writing the password on the login
(in the image attached) the bar to enter the password disappears and my
computer screen stays stuck without them let me do anything. the connection
begins to separate and reattach alone and I can only move the cursor. it makes
the computer unusable and I am forced to restart forced to then enter into
Unity 7. represented in the screenshot is the lock status after entering the
password.
  Version: unity8.12+16.04.201604.01.1
  Version of Mir : 0.21