I believe this is an upstart issue, the tools appear to be selecting
user tasks rather than system tasks. Try adding --system to your various
commands:

sarnold@hunt:~$ initctl --system status ssh
ssh start/running, process 1352
sarnold@hunt:~$ initctl status ssh
initctl: Unknown job: ssh

** Package changed: openssh (Ubuntu) => upstart (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upstart in Ubuntu.

  Newly installed openssh-server and upstart: status: Unknown job: ssh

Status in “upstart” package in Ubuntu:

  Just after installing openssh-server, there is no ssh service in the
  initctl's list. Consequently, the SSH server cannot be started:

  # initctl start ssh
  initctl: Unknown job: ssh

  # dpkg -l | grep ssh
  ii  openssh-client                             1:6.6p1-2ubuntu2
       i386         secure shell (SSH) client, for secure access to remote
machines
  ii  openssh-server                             1:6.6p1-2ubuntu2
       i386         secure shell (SSH) server, for secure access from remote
machines

  # cat /etc/lsb-release
  DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
  DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
  DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
  DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS"

  # initctl reload-configuration
  # initctl list | grep ssh
  ssh-agent start/running

  # ps axuw | grep ssh
  ivoras    1578  0.0  0.0   4216   200 ?        Ss   Sep08   0:00 ssh-agent -s
  root     11810  0.0  0.0   6168   852 pts/2    S+   11:26   0:00 grep ssh

  # initctl start ssh
  initctl: Unknown job: ssh

  Running "/etc/init.d/ssh" does not do anything since the script exits, AFAIK
in the upstart check.
  Running "service ssh restart" results in:

  # service ssh restart
  stop: Unknown job: ssh
  start: Unknown job: ssh

  After rebooting the machine, sshd is started (!), but still not
  visible in "initctl list" (!!) and running /etc/init.d/ssh still
  doesn't do anything (!!!), as well as the "service" command returning
  the same "Unknown job: ssh" error.

  Exactly the same problem happens with the php5-fpm service. I've also
  installed nginx and while it can be controlled by using
  /etc/init.d/nginx , it is not visible in "initctl list".

  The question is - how do I control the services in Ubuntu 14.04? This
  is a fresh install, the ssh service was the first service installed.