For the record, you can enable KillUserProcesses=yes in
/etc/systemd/logind.conf to automatically clean up processes which don't
properly terminate upon session stop. It has been tried to make this the
default, but it met heavy opposition, so we won't do that by default.
Reassigning to gnupg2 for now, as gpg-agent needs to properly stop on
logout. systemd --user will stop when the last "real" session is gone,
and so will lightdm's session child.

** Summary changed:

- encrypted home is not being unmounted upon logout
+ "gpg-agent --daemon" stays after login, causing ecryptfs to not get unmounted

** Package changed: systemd (Ubuntu) => gnupg2 (Ubuntu)

  "gpg-agent --daemon" stays after login, causing ecryptfs to not get
  unmounted

Status in eCryptfs:
  Confirmed
Status in gnupg2 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ecryptfs-utils package in Debian:

  Tested:

      (ok)  Xubuntu 14 LTS - 14.04.2 - desktop amd64
      (bug) Ubuntu GNOME 15.04 - desktop i386
      (bug) Ubuntu MATE 15.04 - desktop i386
      (bug) Lubuntu 15.04 - desktop i386
      (bug) Xubuntu 16.04 (fully upgraded on 2016-04-03T10:56:53+02:00) - amd64

  How do I test:

      Installation - default with option to encrypt Home folder during
  installation

  I shutdown the machine. Start it.

  If I first login with root, root cannot see my user's HOME
  folder/files/ they are encrypted.

      * However, what happens on Ubuntu 15.04 and 16.04 (bug):

      If I login to my user, check files, then log off fully, eventually
  login with root, root can see my user's files because
  /home/_user_/.Private is still mounted.

      * What happens on Xubuntu 14.04 (expected behaviour):

      If I login to my user, then I log off, eventually login with root,
  root CANNOT read my user's home dir/files.

  I can replicate this very easily and with no problem. I really
  appreciate everyone's opinion and expert words. Thank you!