Furthermore, there's no visual feedback than the volume is being changed (since
the screen is off).
With latest image on turbo (r98), with the screen off I press volume down or
up. I immediately after turn the screen on and I see the notification of the
volume having changed.

  Volume buttons change ringtone volume when suspended

Status in Band-aids for Ubuntu Phone:
  New
Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu UX:
  Fix Committed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  This is a rather bigger topic for user experience design, but one
  thing that should at least happen asap is volume buttons should be
  disabled when screen is off, otherwise your you-thought-silenced-phone
  suddenly blares a ring tone.

  Steps to repro:
  * suspend your phone
  * press volume buttons

  Expected result:
  * nothing happens

  Current result:
  * volume changes

  Package: unity8 7.84+14.04.20140306-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.4.0-5-mako armv7l
  ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: armhf