The multiple dialogs getting opened was a bug I just fixed (or worked
around), landed in utopic-proposed last night.

In the UpdateManager code, it was getting onSystemUpdateDownloaded
signal multiple times, and each time opening a dialog.  The number of
times this signal was emitted seems to vary, I had times where it only
happened twice (1 too many) and other times where it was 5 or more
times.  In system-settings, it was creating a dialog each time the
signal was emitted.  It wasn't visual, and you could only notice it if
you hit "not now".  If you choose to install the update, the view
changes so you never noticed the additional dialogs, then the device
rebooted.  What I did was to do a check, if there is a system update in
progress or awaiting confirmation from the user, it just does nothing on
the additional signals.

I'm not very familiar with the update code, could it be emitting that
signal for each update, not just system updates?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to system-image in Ubuntu.

  Top Crasher: /usr/sbin/system-image-dbus:RuntimeError:_download

Status in Ubuntu system image (server/client/updater):
  In Progress
Status in “system-image” package in Ubuntu:

  The Ubuntu Error Tracker has been receiving reports about a problem
  regarding system-image.  This problem was most recently seen with
  version 2.3.2-0ubuntu2, the problem page at
  https://errors.ubuntu.com/problem/2ddecb9c81d025a9d1342a892298e1f9788500b6
  contains more details.