doweller, thank you for reporting this and helping make Ubuntu better.

Could you please run the following command once from a terminal by ensuring you
have the package xdiagnose installed, and that you click the Yes button for
attaching additional debugging information:
apport-collect -p xorg 1572679

When reporting xorg related bugs in the future, please do so via the
above method. You can learn more about this functionality at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  screen flickering and tearing kwin nouveau kubuntu 16.04

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  The bug I see on my Dell D830 (8GB RAM, Nvidia G86M [Quadro NVS 140M]
  (rev a1)) with nouveau driver using Kubuntu 16.04.

  After login everything seems to work fine for roughly 2 minutes. After
  that flickering and tearing starts (when moving windows around with
  the mouse) and gets more intense until the screen is full of "color-
  blobs" (which means: one cannot see anything anymore).  Starting a
  flash movie in Firefox provokes immediate tearing and flickering.

  Restarting the kwin compositor helps - for another 2 minutes, then the
  whole problem starts to catch on momentum again. I tried everything
  mentioned here:

  http://askubuntu.com/questions/672007/flickering-in-kde-plasma-5-4

  the only thing that helps for a longer period of time is turning off
  compositing completely.

  I am unsure where to further look for the problem: Is it kwin? xorg?
  nouveau? All of them? Whatever? The logs I checked (xorg, syslog,
  dmesg etc.) contain nothing that I can make sense of.

  I'd appreciate any hint to where (and: what) to look (for) and which
  more specific information to collect ...

  Package: xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64