Public bug reported:

Hi,

the font configs just caused me lots of headache.

I have a single TTF font (in this case Swiss 721 Bold Rounded BT), where
the font foundry for some reason chose to call the subfamily name given
in the TTF file 'Bold'. Which is confusing, since the font is not really
that bold, but that's the way it is.

Since this is just a single font and not a family, it causes fontconfig to
generate synthetic fonts, i.e. it makes four out of one: The regular
(unmodified), the bold, the italic, and the bold italic.

That's where trouble begins. Since the original font is already named
bold, there are suddenly two bold fonts, confusing all software that
handles fonts by family and subfamily, e.g. libreoffice.

1) It is in general not a good idea to generate synthetic fonts that cannot be
distinguished from real font families.

2) It is a bad idea to generate synthatic fonts which have the same sub
name as the original font.

regards

Package: fontconfig-config 2.11.94-0ubuntu1
NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zcommon znvpair zavl
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: XFCE
Date: Thu Jun 16 13:24:01 2016
InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64 (20160420)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: fontconfig

** Affects: fontconfig (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug xenial

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to fontconfig in Ubuntu.

  synthetic font generation causes confusion

Status in fontconfig package in Ubuntu:

  Date: Thu Jun 16 13:24:01 2016