Same problem here. bq e4.5 with OTA-11.
Rebooting fixes the problem for a while. What's interesting only text message
notifications are affected. Notifications for Telegram messages works fine

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to messaging-app in Ubuntu.

  No sound notification after receiving a new message

Status in messaging-app package in Ubuntu:

  Unfortunately I can't give you any clues bit it happens in my bq4.5 for the
second time. I sit next to my phone in silence und suddendly see that the green
notification LED is blinking. I take the phone into my hand and see in a
notification area a new sms message that came a few second ago without letting
me know with a tone. I put the phone down and send another sms from another
device. Again no sound notification after message arrival.
  This situation happens to me already for the second time. The first time
rebboting helped. For the second time rebooted helped as well. What I was doing
before was using uRadio but after rebbot i turned the radio on and off and
everything worked fine. I was also using Music app with earphones. If it
happens to me again I provide more information what could be the cause.