Actually you can do that already. If you have the list of recent calls
opened, just swipe the list item to the left. Then you see options.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to messaging-app in Ubuntu.

  Unable to send a message from the recent list

Status in dialer-app package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in messaging-app package in Ubuntu:

  I had a wish that we would be able to send a message from the list of recent
calls as we know it from other devices.
  Today I missed a call from a number that is not on my contact list. I wanted
to answer with a message and not only suprisingly didn't find a proper option
that would allow me to do it but also I was unable to paste (copying a number
from the phone app succeded) the copied number into a messenger number field.
  I pasted the number into a message field and then seeing the number below I
typed it by hand into a number field.
  Users would be greatful if there was an option to send a message in an easier
way. I find this issue even more interesting as we are already able to send a
message to someone (answer the ringing phone with a message) while the
telephone is ringing.