** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)

  PlacementStrategy ignores the surface type and state

Status in Mir:
  Fix Released
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  The surface type and state are important bits of information when
  deciding the placement of a surface.

  Without this information a poor initial placement might be done
  causing a surface to resized and repositioned right after it, once the
  window manager finally has knowledge of all the properties of the
  surface.

  This is happening right now with unity8 as surfaces get unnecessarily
  resized right after creation, which causes visual glitches as you can
  see the window "contorting" right after being launched and resizing a
  surface is a reasonably costly operation. We have worked around it by
  holding up on displaying the surface until it has finally settled down
  (i.e. we keep the splash screen for longer).