I tried fc-cache, but starting a qml app still continues to open up the
conf files.

Digging through Qt source to understand where these calls are coming
from.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to fontconfig in Ubuntu.

  fontconfig initialization spends most of its time parsing XML
  configuration files in /etc/fonts/conf.d/

Status in Canonical System Image:
  New
Status in fontconfig package in Ubuntu:

  While profiling the startup of QML apps on the BQ E4.5 phone (armhf) I
noticed that a significant amount of time (around 35ms) was spent solely on
parsing the XML configuration files in /etc/fonts/conf.d/
  There seems to be around 40 files on Ubuntu Phone in that directory.