I have tried to upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 now and the same problem
here, I can't upgrade to 16.04 because this error.

I tried to upgrade through update-manager -d in lightdm session and with
do-release-upgrade -d in console with stopped xserver.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to sysvinit in Ubuntu.

  package sysv-rc 2.88dsf-59.3ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade:
  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
  status 1

Status in sysvinit package in Ubuntu:

  Upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04 sysv-rc failed to install on my Dell
  M3800 Developer Edition laptop. Reinstalled 14.04 from Dell's
  restoration partition, did a dist-upgrade, and tried to upgrade again
  but had the same issue.

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: sysv-rc 2.88dsf-59.3ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sun Apr 24 00:48:58 2016
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is a distribution channel descriptor
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-trusty-amd64-20140620-0
  ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error
exit status 1
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20140620-04:25
  PackageArchitecture: all
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.18.4ubuntu1
   apt  1.2.10ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: sysvinit
  Title: package sysv-rc 2.88dsf-59.3ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade:
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-04-24 (0 days ago)