I had a similar experience after upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04.  mpg123
would (sometimes, not always... and it's streaky, staying repeatedly
broken or repeatedly working over several attempts) play extremely fast,
producing garbled output that finishes in a fraction of the expected
time (e.g. a 5 minute, 20 second song finished in 27 seconds).  The same
mp3 file played in mpg321 did not exhibit this behavior, nor have I
noticed it in other audio-producing programs.  Resetting pulseaudio
doesn't help (in fact, if it's on a working streak doing so makes it
garbled again).  Playing audio from other apps (e.g. a web browser) at
the same often makes it work (for a while) even after ending the other
app's audio.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mpg123 in Ubuntu.

  mp3 files decode as crackly noise

Status in mpg123 package in Ubuntu:

  MP3 files have started decoding as crackly noise instead of the
  intended sound (typically, music).  Occasionally but not reliably, the
  crackly noise becomes music, as though it were a mere synchronisation
  error and mpg123 finds a sync signal.  (I have no reason to believe
  that that is happening at a technical level, I offer it as an analogy
  for the occasional behaviour I've noticed.)

  While it's possible that this is only files on my disk that are
  corrupted, this would suggest that my backups have been similarly
  corrupted, so that hypothesis seems less likely.

  Package: mpg123 1.22.4-1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: i3