Here are my current versions of the affected packages:
# dpkg -l ntp systemd | cat
||/ Name           Version                 Architecture Description
+++-==============-=======================-============-=================================================
ii  ntp            1:4.2.8p4+dfsg-3ubuntu5 amd64        Network Time Protocol
daemon and utility programs
ii  systemd        229-4ubuntu6            amd64        system and service
manager

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ntp in Ubuntu.

  systemd-timesyncd unit still running after installation of ntp package

Status in ntp package in Ubuntu:

  I recently installed the ntp package on a fairly vanilla installed-
  from-DVD Xenial system, and noticed that after the package
  installation both systemd-timesyncd and ntp were running:

  # systemctl status ntp systemd-timesyncd.service --no-pager
   ntp.service - LSB: Start NTP daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/ntp; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Tue 2016-06-28 19:21:16 HDT; 6min ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
     CGroup: /system.slice/ntp.service
             3364 /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -u 112:118

  [...log lines...]

   systemd-timesyncd.service - Network Time Synchronization
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service; enabled;
vendor preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service.d
             `-disable-with-time-daemon.conf
     Active: active (running) since Sun 2016-06-26 06:53:05 HDT; 2 days ago
       Docs: man:systemd-timesyncd.service(8)
   Main PID: 821 (systemd-timesyn)
     CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-timesyncd.service
             821 /lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd

  [...log lines...]

  I was able to do "systemctl stop systemd-timesyncd.service" manually
  without any trouble, but presumably if I hadn't noticed the situation
  I might have had problems with the two services both running
  simultaneously until my next reboot.

  (Once the systemd-timesyncd service is stopped, it is prevented from
  starting again by the constraint in the disable-with-time-daemon.conf
  file.)