Just got back from holiday and tried upgrading trusty to xenial again...

My first attempt hit this bug again. However then I found that
unplugging my USB DVB tuner solved it. So now I'm finally able to keep
xenial installed.

Next step was to plug the USB DVB tuner back in and test the above
xenial fix. Un/fortunately this bug has suddenly stopped happening for
now, so I don't have a reliable system to test the xenial fix on, at
least for today.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upower in Ubuntu.

  unity-settings-daemon crashed with SIGSEGV in
  up_exported_daemon_get_lid_is_closed()

Status in Upower:
  Unknown
Status in unity-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in upower package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in unity-settings-daemon source package in Xenial:
  Triaged
Status in upower source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in unity-settings-daemon source package in Yakkety:
  Triaged
Status in upower source package in Yakkety:

  https://errors.ubuntu.com/problem/8ca9c548fc4e2fc1d4bf827bbd85c72df59313f8

  Ubuntu 16.04 crashes immediately on login. Default settings not
  applied and appearance is a bit ugly (incorrect font hinting, in-
  window menus etc).

  SRU TEST CASE (upower)
  ----------------------
  On affected machines, unity-settings-daemon crashes immediately on login, as
due to a kernel bug upowerd takes a very long time to start. With the fixed
package the crash is fixed. Power status information will still be wrong, but
at least theme, hotkeys, and all other unity-settings-daemon functionality will
work.

  This can be synthetically tested with:

     DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS=foo upower --dump

  With the current xenial version this causes a segfault, while with the
  fix you get a proper error message.

  Fix: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/upower/commit/?id=932a6a39e3
     https://cgit.freedesktop.org/upower/commit/?id=4e83fabac
  (The second one is not crucial, but provides a much better failure mode for
the "upower" CLI tool).

  Regression potential: This changes the core behaviour of libupower.
  The patch is carefully written to be backwards compatible to the
  extent possible, but changing the behaviour is necessary to fix this
  bug (see commit log for details). Thus clients such as unity-control-
  center, unity-settings-daemon, or mate-power-manager should be tested
  as part of the verification.

  ---

  ProblemType: Crash
  ApportVersion: 2.20-0ubuntu3