Not really -- in this case, all of the packages are pretty much
installed at the same time with automated processes.

In #1 above, Ryan Tandy mentions seeing these error messages too -- so I
assumed this was a fairly common sort of occurrence.

I've been working around this issue by adding a line to
/etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.sbin.slapd, and I'm okay with this workaround.
I guess I was assuming that the fix would be a simple patch to
/etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin/slapd to permit the socket (i.e. assuming that
Kerberos is fairly standard and it seems reasonable to allow a process
like slapd to access the socket if it has permissions to do so).

Given the amount of complexity that now seems to be involved, I'm
reluctant to (even implicitly) ask you guys to spend more time on this.
Feel free to pursue this as you want, but definitely don't feel any
pressure on my account.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openldap in Ubuntu.

  apparmor profile denied for kerberos:  /run/.heim_org.h5l.kcm-socket

Status in openldap package in Ubuntu:

  The slapd apparmor profile doesn't allow access to /run/.heim_org.h5l
  .kcm-socket which is used by kerberos:

  apparmor="DENIED" operation="connect" profile="/usr/sbin/slapd"
  name="/run/.heim_org.h5l.kcm-socket" pid=61289 comm="slapd"
  requested_mask="wr" denied_mask="wr" fsuid=389 ouid=0

  This is as of 2.4.40+dfsg-1ubuntu1.