I'm still on 14.04 and will upgrade to 16.04 when the offer arrives.
I still purge older kernel manually via terminal since they don't get removed
automatically.
@pxtl I'd recommend to open a new bug with a hint to this one.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  FR: Limit and clean-up kernel images and headers automatically

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in aptitude package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in apt source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in aptitude source package in Precise:
  Confirmed
Status in apt source package in Quantal:
  Fix Released
Status in aptitude source package in Quantal:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Question #186146 is one among multiple where user unintentionally collects
multiple kernel images in particular with LTS. There is no hint from relevant
package management application GUIs which advise to clean up those images. With
future LTS support of five years the issue presumable will extend.
  Expected.
  After installation of a newer kernel image ask the user if previous kernel
images should be removed.
  Checkbox: yes - no
  If yes, offer a list of installed kernel images, don't list the one booted.
Advise to keep at least the last functional one.
  Also remove -headers.

  Perhaps an additional consideration for the blueprint.
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-p-lts-upgrades

  There is a new Quantal blueprint regarding the subject.
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-q-clean-old-kernels