This is addressed here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/70599/how-to-
change-tooltip-background-color-in-unity

In short, a workaround (until this is fixed) involves:

1. install unity-tweak-tool:  sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool
2. run the tool, and modify the theme to something else ("Highcontrast" and
"Adwaita" themes work for me).

Also in the askubuntu link above, it is mentioned that you can manually
tweak aspects of individual themes by making modifications to files
within /usr/share/themes.  This might be more work, but allows you to
use your preferred theme.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-themes in Ubuntu.

  Colour combination makes qt tooltips unreadable in Unity

Status in “ubuntu-themes” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm not sure if I'm reporting this against the right package, but I
  tried to use kdevelop in the Unity environment and couldn't read its
  tooltips because the text is white on a pale yellow background. I
  can't find any way to change this. I tried qtconfig, but the Tune
  Palette button is disabled for the default GUI Style, and has no
  effect if I change the style to something else eg GTK+. However,
  qtconfig does overwrite my gtk3 settings.ini with one that makes all
  menus appear with black text on a dark grey background!

  Package: light-themes 14.04+14.04.20140410-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-29.53-generic 3.13.11.2
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-29-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Jun 19 14:59:55 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64 (20140417)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-themes