** Changed in: ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu)

  [System Settings] [design] allow PINs of variable length instead of
  just 4 digits

Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  Triaged
Status in “ubuntu-system-settings” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity8” package in Ubuntu:

  Currently when setting a PIN on the device, it must be 4 digits. This
  is artificially limiting. Other platforms (eg Android) allow longer
  PINs. It has always been my understanding that we should support
  Swipe, Passphrase and PIN where Passphrase and PIN can be arbitrarily
  long.

  However, once longer PINs are supported, we will have to add an Enter
  key. Right now, the lockscreen checks the PIN once 4 digits are added
  so that you don't have to press Enter. I guess this was done for
  usability, but would be a security issue because an attacker can
  easily determine the PIN length, which makes it easier to for an
  attacker to guess the PIN. Eg, if I have a 5 digit PIN set, then an
  attacker need only type '11111' and know that the PIN is only five
  characters. Now, a PIN isn't strong to begin with and an automated
  attack could rather quickly brute force PINs, but we shouldn't make it
  easier for someone manually trying to guess the PIN.

  The passphrase lockscreen prompt correctly allows variable length
  passphrases and requires you to press Enter.

  I suggest moving the 'X' up t the left of '0' and an Enter symbol to
  the rigth of '0'.