So this turns out to be yet another instance of us getting bitten by
device-specific hardware behavior.  I re-ran monitor-ofono on krillin
(rtm/#33) and get the same output as @Jussi in comment #9.

That said, in this case when the SIM is removed on krillin, it requires
the SimManager interface to be torn down and recreated in sequence, and
thus the PropertyChanged can't be fired.   The details of why this is
true can be found in the comments to the following pull request:

https://github.com/rilmodem/ofono/pull/104

So...with that said, in order to catch SIM removal you need to:

 - watch for SimManager PropertyChanged ( 'Present' ) signals

 - watch for SimManager disappearance / appearance in the modem's
'Interfaces' property.   Whenever 'SimManager' appears you need to read
the initial state of 'Present'.

** Changed in: ofono (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-network in

  Hot-swapped SIMs should be detected and prompt user to reboot

Status in “indicator-network” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “ofono” package in Ubuntu:

  Our telephony stack doesn't support hot-swapping of SIM cards.  If a
  user hot-swaps a SIM, the telephony stack will become unusable.

  The telephony-service should detect when this happens and display a
  snap-decision informing the user that they need to restart their
  device.