Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  "Reached target shutdown" message seen, but laptop won't turn off,
  just hangs and needs the laptop's button.

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  This is about a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 install on a new laptop (asus
  x540sa). After pressing the shutdown button in the start menu; the
  shutdown procedure starts and in the final splash screen the system
  just hangs. Tried a second time by pressing Esc once the splash screen
  showed up and I saw that it reaches the line "Reached target shutdown"
  and just stops there, no matter how long I leave it there the machine
  won't turn off.

  I also tried a Kubuntu 16.04 fresh install on the same machine and it
  hanged too at the final splash screen where the pulsating logo
  stopped. Then I tried with Esc only to see the exact same line in the
  end.

  The issue seems to affect lately quite many users as shown by the
  google results of the past month / week or so.

  I have also tried shutting down from the console with shutdown -and
  all the parameters after that suggested online- and sudo poweroff but
  unfortunately they didn't do the trick. The exact same situation
  occurred.

  Unmounting the swap as suggested online doesn't work.

  Also rebooting the system is not working either due to the same issue.

  So right now the only way for me to poweroff the machine is to press
  the power button on the keyboard continuously.

  Reproducible: Always

  Steps to Reproduce:
  1.Install OS
  2.Do something, anything or nothing
  3.Try to shutdown or reboot

  Actual Results:
  The computer is not shutting down: "Reached target shutdown" and hangs there.

  Expected Results:
  Powering off the machine.

  For what it's worth, closing the lid won't suspend the system, but
  using the menu buttons for suspension will do it.