Mikko:

I have installed the new network-manager-gnome 1.2.2 as suggested, as
well as [last week] the latest stable kernel - 4.6.3

So after a dozen suspend-resume cycles I can report so far so good!

But no willing to say fixed until I give it some more time, say a week
of normal use.

Yes - I have also noticed a reduction in start up time.

Further to this post I made, I have to retract that statement to say the
fault still occurs.

I have doing a fair bit of my own testing with this bug - whether this
assists or not with a fix not sure, but here are my obseravtions.

Lenevo x220, latest iwlwifi driver [18.168.6.1], Ubuntu 16.04.1 (clean
install), latest stable kernel 4.6.5, and latest Network manager
1.2.2-0ubuntu6.

I can report the following:

After Suspend then resume, fault still occurs. Also see nmcli below,
output of Nm icon is the 2 vertical arrows (not the wifi symbol) and NO
WIFI NETWORKS LISTED - but connected to wifi:

xxx@xxx-ThinkPad-X220:~$ nmcli dev
DEVICE TYPE STATE CONNECTION
wlp3s0 wifi connected Lxxxx 1
enp0s25 ethernet unavailable --
lo loopback unmanaged --
xxx@xxx-ThinkPad-X220:~$

Also, Subsequent to installing 16.04.1, I tried a clean install of 16.10
Yaketty Yak. Alpha 1

Only 5 days of testing, but many suspend-resume cycles over the course
of a normal work day.

I can report that the problem appeared to not appear with this config!

I had to then subsequently go back to 16.04.1, as the Alpha 1 build was too
unstable for my usage.
HTH

Cheers...

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  cannot view wifi networks after re-enabling wifi

Status in NetworkManager:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  after re enabling wifi, up-down arrows just like wired network. cannot
  see any wifi ssid.