Mostly for the records, I've had a very similar, but more severe
problem. Since upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04, not only were the
indicators (other than a11y) missing, but I couldn't log in anymore. The
correct password was reproducibly rejected as incorrect. After the next
restart of lightdm, things worked smoothly, until the next logout. I'd
reckon that the same cause that kept the indicators from loading kept
lightdm from connecting to its source of authentication (PAM?), but
that's highly guesswork.

The new 1.18.2-0ubuntu2 so far seems to have fixed that variant of the
problem, too.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Unity greeter indicators don't show on second launch

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Fix Committed
Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in lightdm source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  Unity Greeter indicators don't show second time greeter started.

  [Test Case]
  1. Log in with greeter
  2. Log out

  Expected result:
  Unity greeter is shown with all UI elements as in step 1.

  Observed result:
  Unity greeter is shown but only one indicator shows (accessibility)

  [Regression potential]
  Low. The fix was already present in the Bzr branch (removed some unneeded
code that would accidentally close stdin). The fix was not released since it
hadn't been shown to be a problem before this report.