I renamed the title. desktop_file_hint is not the problem, the location
of the .desktop files is. The hint is in fact still needed.

** Summary changed:

- UITK AP tests that use QMLStringAppTestCase fail - rejected by unity8 as is
using desktop_file_hint
+ QMLStringAppTestCase rejected by Unity8

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-ui-toolkit in

  QMLStringAppTestCase rejected by Unity8

Status in ubuntu-app-launch package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ubuntu-ui-toolkit package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  I'm trying to run the ubuntu-ui-toolkit autopilot tests on today's
  image.

  First off, they could cause unity8 to crash, which is bug 1578258 which can
be resolved with
  https://code.launchpad.net/~gerboland/qtmir/ual-catch-exception/+merge/293805

  That causes unity8 to report it rejects some of the test apps the UITK
  AP test tries to launch:

  qtmir.applications: ApplicationController::createApp - UAL failed to
  create app for appId "ubuntu-ui-toolkit-gallery" : Invalid app ID:
  ubuntu-ui-toolkit-gallery

  UITK AP is launching like this:

  /usr/bin/ubuntu-ui-toolkit-launcher -testability -I  /usr/lib/modules
  /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/examples//ubuntu-ui-toolkit/examples
  /ubuntu-ui-toolkit-gallery/ubuntu-ui-toolkit-gallery.qml
  --desktop_file_hint=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/examples/ubuntu-
  ui-toolkit/examples/ubuntu-ui-toolkit-gallery/ubuntu-ui-toolkit-
  gallery.desktop

  which is not using upstart-app-launch - which would explain the fail.
  desktop_file_hint is not a supported means of launching an app (and
  can go away at any time), so UITK should change to use UAL in its AP
  tests.

  This indeed used to work until recently, but a recent refactoring
  broke the desktop_file_hint behaviour. Since it's not a supported
  behaviour, it should not be relied on, so it would be better to fix
  UITK than restore the old behaviour.