On Mon, 2016-08-15 at 14:11 +0000, Michael Terry wrote:
> I just ran "url-dispatcher http://yahoo.com"; and nothing happens on
> my
> yakkety-proposed desktop system.  Do I have a bad configuration
> somewhere?
It works for me, but that is probably because I have ubuntu-webbrowser
installed, and that is what is opened. But it seems that, from the U8
greeter, you'd only be sending application:// and appid:// URLs though,
right? Those are both built in.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to url-dispatcher in Ubuntu.

  url-dispatcher should use xdg-open as a fallback if not in Touch

Status in url-dispatcher package in Ubuntu:

  On our standard desktop product with unity7, url-dispatcher does not
  work.

  It would be nice if it did, as we start having pieces of Touch come
  over to the desktop, convergence style.

  For example, unity8-greeter has support for opening apps inside the
  session (via launcher or indicators).  It uses a combination of a
  system daemon and url-dispatcher (inside the session) to do this.  But
  this doesn't work on unity7.

  In this case, I could patch unity8-greeter to do something different
  for unity7, but it seems like it would be nicer to make url-dispatcher
  a little more general.

  If it's not in a Touch environment, the url-dispatcher service could
  just launch xdg-open for each URL it gets.