> Mediascanner is driving the local photos scope though, and these
pieces of folder cover art will likely show up there.

Indeed, they do, which is annoying. For me, it picks up images from
AlbumArtSmall.jpg and Folder.jpg. (These names are used by iTunes.)

Would be good to ignore those.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mediascanner2 in Ubuntu.

  Provide a way to hide images from a particular location

Status in Canonical System Image:
  New
Status in gallery-app package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in mediascanner2 package in Ubuntu:

  I've put about 30GB of music in my SD card. Some of the music files
  don't have embedded cover art and their folders contain those cover
  art images.

  When I then opened the Gallery app, I noticed I now have thousands of
  "pictures" imported from the cover art images showing up in my Events
  and Pictures tabs, cluttering the real pictures I've taken with the
  camera.

  Is there a way to tell either mediascanner or the Gallery app to
  ignore a path and not import/show the images there? E.g. similar to
  Android, where you can put a .nomedia file in a folder and its images
  won't show up in the picture viewer.