I agree this is a problem, it's an old bug and in fact you'll see a lot
of reports about "locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid"
exception thrown by boost - see e.g. the last comment here
https://github.com/udoprog/c10t/issues/203

There is nothing we can do at the level it surfaces (scoperegistry in
this case) as it aborts the creation of most basic objects we need, so
we cannot just catch and ignore it.

This problem also manifests itself in unity8-dash (I'm sure it hit it
too with your broken locale setup) and the best we could do there was to
just prevent the restart-loop of unity8-dash (and leave the dash empty
as we cannot instantiate scopes runtime with broken locale).

I'm really not sure what more we can do. Adding boost to the bug.

** Also affects: boost (Ubuntu)

** Bug watch added: github.com/udoprog/c10t/issues #203
   https://github.com/udoprog/c10t/issues/203

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  dash is empty, scopes are missing

Status in boost package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in unity-scopes-api package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 16.10
  dash is empty, scopes are missing