This would need to be implemented upstream and the link you provided
does not sound like that will happen.

Ubuntu will only get this if upstream implements it.

** Changed in: rsync (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to rsync in Ubuntu.

  Rsync --timeout argument ignores non-transfer progress

Status in rsync package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I want rsync to timeout if it is unable to continue making progress on
  a remote backup over ssh.

  For example, if the remote destination server is rebooted, I don't
  want this to cause an orphaned process on the source computer.

  However, if I use the "--timeout" argument (--timeout=180), it will
  timeout prematurely while evaluating large files, during which,
  progress is indeed being made, but since no data is actually being
  transfered (for period longer that 180 secounds), it make rsync exit
  (even though it is really progressing).

  This has been discussed before:
  https://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2011-August/026640.html

  Either the timeout argument needs to be changed to take this type of
  progress into consideration, or another argument should be added to
  rsync that DOES indeed take this type of progress into consideration
  before invoking a timeout.