Running the recreate.sh script with util-linux 2.28.1-1ubuntu1 results
in a failure when growpart attempts to write the new partition table and
update the kernel indicating that the partition table was not cleared
from the kernel when we ran 'kpartx -s -v -d /dev/loop0'

In this case we have run:
kpartx -s -v -a file  # create the loopback device for 'file' and add partition
mappings
kpartx -s -v -d /dev/loop0 # delete the partition mappings, but keep the
loopback device
growpart /dev/loop0 1 # grow the 1st partition on /dev/loop0

** Attachment added: "failure.output"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/1618525/+attachment/4730931/+files/failure.output

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to util-linux in Ubuntu.

  Failure to remove kernel partition mappings in yakkety
  (2.28.1-1ubuntu1)

Status in util-linux package in Ubuntu:

  In the move from 2.28-5ubuntu2 and 2.28.1-1ubuntu1 of util-linux we
  see a regression when asking kpartx to remove kernel partition
  mappings where the appear to remain.

  Context: We create and modify disk images heavily.  The example
  recreate creates a 2GB disk image with a single partition.  From that
  2GB image we will resize it to 8GB and grow the partition/filesystem.
  This stopped working in yakkety with 2.28.1-1ubuntu1.

  We do have a work-around which is call growpart on the file rather on
  the loopback device.

  Recreate script is attached.