Hi,

I also thought I had a bug on this, but actually the problem is configuration
of search domains for VPN resolutions.
I have an updated Ubuntu 16.04 and the scenario described here works for me.

Network Manager uses dnsmasq for DNS resolution so the /etc/resolv.conf name
server is always 127.0.1.1 independently of the VPN being up or down. Don't
expect /etc/resolv.conf to change nameserver values.
The only thing that is updated in resolv.conf are the search domains.
Having 127.0.1.1 in resolv.conf points the DNS resolutions to the dnsmasq
daemon which is running locally.

In the scenario that you have an ethernet connection and a VPN connection, you
need first to decide if you want your traffic all to go through the VPN
connection or not. This is done by the configuration "Use this connection only
for the resources on its network" inside IPV4 Settings->routes (it can also be
forced by the VPN Server, just check where is pointing the first 0.0.0.0 route
in netstat -r).
In my case VPN server is not forcing and I want traffic to go through both
interfaces (split tunnel) so the option is checked.

With the VPN up you'll have DNS servers for the ethernet connection and the DNS
servers for the VPN connection. They can be automatically given by DHCP or
statically assigned by you. You can even add additional DNS servers to the ones
you receive automatically.
Having DNSs in both sides you need to use search domains to decide if you are
going to use DNS from one side or the other.
Similar to the DNS servers you can also receive those search domains by DHCP
for each interface and you can also add your own.

The problem I had with resolution was that I was trying to resolve VPN domains
which where not being pushed as a search domain by the VPN and so they were
being sent to the ethernet DNSs instead of the VPN DNSs.
Basically to solve this I had to add the VPN search domains manually in IPV4
Settings.
(easier than ask VPN server admins to push the correct search domains when the
VPN comes up)

Hope this helps.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  network manager openvpn dns push data not updating system DNS
  addresses

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in openvpn package in Ubuntu:

  [Triage Notes]

  This bug can no longer make progress. Please see comment 50 for
  details and further instructions.

  [Original Description]

  When IPv4 Method is set to Automatic VPN, DNS address recieved from
  OpenVPN server do not update resolv.conf.

  This can be achieved when using a standard openvpn config file by
  adding the lines:

  script-security 2
  up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
  down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

  In Network-manager there seems to be no option to run connection
  specific scripts and the DNS data from the server is ignored.

  Ubuntu 13.04
  Network-manager 0.9.8.0-0ubuntu6