Since you also have this issue with totem, this sounds a lot like a
pulseaudio bug and not a vlc one. Changing the status for vlc to
invalid.

** Changed in: vlc (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  My system is trying to assassinate me using sound

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in vlc package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Most modern video formats that I find on the interwebs, when I try to
  play them with VLC, the sound is such a loud white noise, that I
  thought maybe it is an assassination attempt on my life.

  Totem refuses to play, claiming an error loading supporting library.

  Attached is a recording of what it sounds like.

  This started happening some one month ago or so.

  Until then, I've been enjoying all kinds of videos and their audio
  without issues.

  Likely not a VLC issue, although it would be nice if players could
  protect me from such atrocities.

  Package: vlc-nox 2.2.2-5
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64